I’ve written a number of books for professionals, including three that are my best sellers: Cultural competence in trauma therapy, Feminist therapy, and the award-winning Subversive dialogues: Theory in feminist therapy.
In 2013 I began to publish books for the general public with a focus on the unique concerns of adults who had survived childhood trauma or neglect. Your turn for care: Surviving the aging and death of the adults who harmed you, was the first of these books. Not the price of admission: Healthy relationships after childhood trauma was published at the end of December, 2015. I’m excited by the feedback I’ve received since it’s come out!
- Feminist therapy, Second edition
- Supervision essentials for the feminist psychotherapy model of supervision
- Not the price of admission: Healthy relationships after childhood trauma
- Your turn for care: Surviving the aging and death of the adults who harmed you
- Feminist therapy, First edition
- Cultural competence in trauma therapy: Beyond the flashback
- Trauma and dissociation in convicted offenders: Issues of gender, science, and treatment
- Rethinking mental health and disorder: Feminist perspectives
- Recovered memories of abuse: Assessment, therapy, forensics
- Subversive dialogues: Theory in feminist therapy
- Personality and psychopathology: Feminist reappraisals
- Diversity and complexity in feminist therapy
- Overcoming fear of fat
Written CE courses
These CE courses are available online in a written format that allows you to read for free, paying only when you take the exam and get the credits. A nice way to learn from your own computer and enhance your abilities to work with trauma survivors. A complete list of all my live, written and recorded CE courses is available on the CE Workshops and Courses page.
- Emotional and cultural competence in the trauma-aware therapist
- Treating trauma: Basic skills and specific treatments
- Becoming a trauma-aware therapist: Definitions and assessment
Recent chapters and journal articles
You can find information about my most recent professional journal articles and book chapters here. A complete list of my earlier work is available in my CV.
- First do no harm: Is it any longer safe to write case reports?
- Looking outside the (voice)box
- Feminist therapy process
- Feminist therapy
- Treating the effects of psychological trauma
- Treating women in psychotherapy
- On not quitting my day job
- Compassion amidst oppression: Increasing cultural competence for managing difficult dialogues in therapy
- A look back at New voices, new visions: The view from here
Frequently cited articles and chapters
This is some of my more popular older work. My entire published oeuvre can be found on my CV.
- Cultural competence: A new way of looking at integration in psychotherapy
- True drama or true trauma? Forensic trauma assessment and the challenge of detecting malingering
- Cultural competence in the treatment of complex trauma
- Feminist therapy and self-inflicted violence
- Still subversive after all these years: The relevance of feminist therapy in the age of evidence-based practice
- Don’t be a sheep: How this eldest daughter became a feminist therapist
- Sexuality, lies, and loss: Lesbian, gay, and bisexual perspectives on trauma
- Symptomatic clients and memories of childhood abuse: What the trauma and child sexual abuse literature tells us
- The private practice of subversion: Psychology as Tikkun Olam
- The meaning of a multicultural perspective for theory development in feminist therapy
- New voices, new visions: Toward a lesbian/gay paradigm for psychology
- Beyond thou shalt not: Thinking about ethics in the lesbian therapy community
- From alienation to connection: Feminist therapy with Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Finding new language: Getting beyond analytic verbal shorthand in feminist therapy
These are some handouts that I frequently share with others, including my note-taking form for therapists, and a handout that I’ve included in several of my books in which I describe the many ways in which people are powerful.