I am available to consult with therapists either on a one-time or continuing basis by Skype or in person about a variety of matters including but not limited to:
- Trauma treatment: Countertransference issues with trauma survivors, including vicarious traumatization; treatment planning; developing containment and self-soothing skills in severely dissociative trauma survivors; risk management with trauma clients
- Psychological testing: I offer assessment to assist with treatment clarification, using such instruments as the MMPI-2, Personality Assessment Inventory, Trauma Symptom Inventory-2, and the Multiscale Dissociation Inventory. I am also available to consult with you on testing administered by other psychologists so that you can better understand the application of their findings to your work with your client.
- Diagnostic dilemmas: I enjoy assisting other therapists with differential diagnosis of complex cases, including questions of malingering
- Forensic issues: If you or your client are anticipating a deposition or court appearance I can support you in preparing to deal with the legal system. I also consult with attorneys on mental health aspects of civil and criminal cases related to trauma, dissociation, abuse, victimization, discrimination, and harassment.
My current fee for consultation with psychotherapists is 160/hour.
Lectures and workshops
I am available to offer lectures and workshops to professional and general audiences. Most of these workshops can be presented to accommodate time slots varying from 1 hour to 2 days depending on your organization’s needs. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss the needs and interests of your organization. My usual fee for a workshop is 3000/day plus travel expenses. I generally require several months of advance notice to schedule a workshop. Complete details about how to hire me to speak to your group as well as a list of upcoming talks and workshops are available on the Live Appearances page.
Forensic expert testimony
I am available to attorneys to serve as an expert witness and consultant in legal matters involving questions of trauma, dissociation, abuse, victimization, discrimination, and harassment. Expert witness services include:
- Psychological assessment of plaintiffs in civil matters or defendants in criminal matters
- Review of records
- Deposition planning
- Report writing
- Expert testimony
If you are an attorney, please contact me directly to discuss your case and my fees. Parties to civil or criminal cases, please arrange for your attorney to contact me as I cannot deal directly with any party to a case.
- Agreement to work with attorney as a forensic expert (pdf)
- Informed consent for forensic assessment (pdf)
- Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
My expert testimony has been referred to by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court in the cases of:
- Simmons v. U.S. (sexual misconduct by therapists and nature of transference)
- Jordan v. Gardner (cross-gender body searches of women prison inmate by male corrections officers)
- Cammermeyer v. Aspin (service in the military by a lesbian officer)
My psychotherapy practice is closed to new clients at this time. Former clients are always welcome to contact me, and I will do my best to find time for you. Openings for new clients may occur unpredictably, so please contact me. My current fee for psychotherapy is 150.00/session. I am a preferred provider with Premera Blue Cross, all health plans managed by First Choice of Washington, and Medicare, and am glad to bill out-of-network for other insurances plans. If I’m not able to see you I’ll be glad to provide referrals to therapists whose work I know well.
Pre and post doctoral training
Graduate students and early career psychologists seeking more formal supervised training with me are encouraged to visit the Fremont Community Therapy Project website for instructions on applying to pre-internship, predoctoral internship, and post-doctoral training programs that are supervised by me and my colleagues.